Friday, April 13, 2012

From the Dugout with Cody Gougler

To get an inside look at the 2012 Southeastern Louisiana University baseball team, ILB has asked senior OF Cody Gougler to write a weekly journal giving the Lion Nation a behind the scenes look at one of the top programs in the Southland Conference. To read all of Cody's journals you can click on his picture on the left menu.

Here is journal #3 for the 2012 season.

Whats up Nation! Man it has been way too long since my last journal and I must apologize for being so late with this one. So much has been going on with the season it is almost impossible to know where to start. The last time I gave you guys an update we were headed to Lake Charles with a 7-1 record. Yikes! I'll take the bullet for this one, my bad. We're in full swing of the second half of our schedule and let me tell you, it has been one crazy ride. At times we have looked like the Lions of 2010 and at times we have looked like... well... let's just say plain boring! But hey, thanks for sticking with us through the rough patches because I truly feel something special is brewing with this year's team. See, every year brings a new batch of players, attitudes, chemistry, and perspective. I know at times lately it may seem like things aren't going so well but a 22-11 overall record and 8-7 in the Southland Conference isn't too shabby! This conference slate has been nuts. Everyone is beating up on everyone. Going into this weekend we are tied with three other teams for third place. The race is wide open right now and it's definitely time to take a step forward.

I would like to throw a few shout outs to some young guys making big contributions to the team. It is really nice to see kids stepping into the program and making an impact right away. Andro "Pretty Boy" "Bieber" Cutura has emerged as our Friday night starter on the bump and has shown great signs of poise and confidence. I would also like to point out how Joseph Koon has continued to step up big for us out of the bullpen, and also being a dominant midweek starter for us. It's selfless guys like him, who have made our pitching staff such a successful asset to our team. Our bullpen has been outstanding! If we can get the ball to Greenleaf, Hills, and Lopez... more times than not... Game Over!

With all that being said, I know you aren't here to read cliche after cliche so let's get to the fun stuff. Cass Hargis texted me and said he wanted to laugh so...let's give it a try.

Not so top 10.. 2nd edition

10. Green Street Hooligans- We watched this movie and it inspired a prank war between Greenleaf and Downing. Let's just say that nobody wants a turtle in their toilet, nor would I prefer garlic and soap inside my glove. All is fine though! E.L.E.

9. Andro Cutura thought Ted Williams' nickname was "Shoeless Joe"?

8. Red or Black? I guess this is a harmless way to tell our parents that we lost some of their money. (Hernandez, Fisher, Rhodes, Pace).. Of course Janway won though.

7. Harry Slade jumped on the girlfriend wagon. Hasn't been to my apartment since.

6. Kirk Gibsonesque- I hate to hate on myself, but I did sprain my ankle on a home run.

5. Goodness Gracious! Can we please get Stefan Lopez a walk out song for a save situation!? Great Balls of Fire isn't gonna cut it. Tweet @sluathletics what song you would like with #LopezEntrance at the end of it. Lets get it done!

4. Beaumont- it smells terrible

3. I saved this one for number 3. 3 games= a winning streak and we haven't had one in a while.. Lets goooo! #LionUp

2. Maxie mize your pour-tential (our program philosophy)- Luckily Bayou Pat or Kenelly Swamp or Sunken Diamond or whatever you wanna call it was playable last weekend. When green shows up on the radar that's not a good thing.

1. Worst 3 pictures found of guys on the team go to: Harry Slade, Sean Kennel, and Stefan Lopez!



Hope everybody enjoyed this weeks journal and we cant wait to see everyone out at "The Pat" this weekend for a big series with Texas State. Game times are set for Friday at 6, Saturday at 2, and Sunday at 1. Don't forget Wiseguys Daiquiris is now now down the right field line so come over there and enjoy some cold beverages and give me a holler! Go Lions and let's all #LionUp!

No comments: