Tuesday, March 16, 2010

From the Dugout with Cole Catalano - Journal #2

Cole Catalano

ILB has asked senior RHP Cole Catalano to write a weekly journal giving the Lion Nation a peak of what it is like to be a member of the Southeastern Louisiana University baseball team. Cole is a Senior RHP who hails from Covington, LA. To read all of Cole's weekly journals you can click on his picture on the left menu.

Here is journal #2 for the 2010 season.

Hey there Lion Fans I am back for the second edition of Inside the Dugout with your very own Cole Catalano. First, I would like to apologize for not getting my blog in on time. I have been a little under the weather. Now that I am feeling better I am ready to fill you in on what has been going on behind the scenes with Lions Baseball.

What a great week to be a Lion fan huh? Another perfect week, in perfect weather, for the perfect fans! Your Roaring Lions finished off a great week with a 4-0 record. Tuesday, we headed west to face the Southern Jaguars of Baton Rouge. From the looks early on during the day I didn’t think we were going to get the game in. From the rain the night before, to the dark heavy rain clouds surrounding the Baton Rouge area, we somehow played and showed everyone we can play in any weather by beating Southern 8-5.

If you recall, I ended my last blog by saying I wanted UTSA to remember when they had to play at “The Pat” and I am sure that’s exactly what they did. Like I said “we swept their butts back to Texas where they belong”. What a great weekend! Nothing gets me more jacked up then to sweep a “Texas” team. Our pitchers were dominate, our hitters looked like they were hitting beach balls, and you couldn’t get anything past our defense.

I have to say …if you weren’t able to attend the Friday night game then I really feel sorry for you. I have been apart of many comeback wins, but this one tops the cake. Being down 9-4 heading into the 7th, we rallied and scratched for 3 runs to get the game to 9-7…then with two more runners getting on base I heard these four little words come out of Coach Artigues’ mouth that gave me chills inside. He said “Bear get a bat” and right then and there I think everyone in the park (including the other team) knew what was going to happen. Bear worked the count full and the opposing pitcher made one small mistake and gave Bear a fastball up and over the middle of the plate. Bear ripped that ball into outer space to put your Lions up 10-9 going into the top half of the 8th. Chris Franklin came in to the game and did what he does best, shut the door to give the Lions a dramatic 10-9 win. If there was one person that deserved to have that moment it was Bear. Every time the poor guy comes up to the plate everyone expects him to hit a 500ft. homer. Then when he drills a ball in the gap everyone sighs and says oh well. HaHa. He finally got his moment and I am happy for him. He has been a great teammate for the past two years and I can promise you there are going be a lot more homeruns coming in the future from the Bear.

Saturday we got a great pitching performance from Brandon Efferson and we shut out the roadrunners 2-0. Sunday was even better, I don’t know who UTSA started on Sunday but I can promise he won’t be staring again. It seemed like we scored 20 runs in the first inning with 0 outs. What a great day our hitters had, UTSA had to use their entire bullpen plus the water boy to get through the day. Ha Ha On Sunday we finished off the Roadrunners with a 15-8 victory to seal the deal and get your Lions their 3rd sweep of the year.

With our continued success the past week, we have once again climbed the polls and are now ranked 17th in the Collegiate Baseball poll. In the USA Today/ ESPN coaches’ polls we are ranked 31st in the country. Our goals are still the same. It’s nice to get all of this recognition, but we still stay at the task at hand, which is focusing on the next game.

Which leads me to this week. Wednesday we will travel to Cajun country to face the ULL Rajun Cajuns. It is always a good atmosphere when we go down to play at ULL. They recently installed turf on their entire field, so I guess that means one thing; we are going to be 15-1 on grass, and 1-0 on turf for the year. Once we are through with ULL we will continue going west to play the McNeese State Cowboys for a weekend series. This will be our first road conference series and like coach always says, “every conference game is a dog fight”. With the great ball we have been playing and the continued support of our fans we will hopefully be leaving Sunday with ANOTHER 3 game sweep.

This weekend will also be a little bittersweet for me. My best friend from high school is a senior on McNeese’s team. We grew up playing ball with each other since the age of ten. It’s funny because we call each other every weekend to see how our teams made out, and then all of a sudden we play each other and turn into enemies. In all seriousness it will be the last time we can say we will step on the same baseball field together, so like a said it’s a little bittersweet.

Well that’s all I got for ya this week…its funny because I think I spend more time on these blogs then I do with my actual homework. And that’s definitely a joke. HaHa

GO GREEN
GO GOLD
GO LIONS

Cole Catalano #31

No comments: